Welcome to the 12th Annual Chili Pepper Extravaganza!
October 22, 2023
2022 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2009 2008 2007
Congratulations to our 2022 Best Of Show winner Deborah Prichard for the 23G (WIld/Sour/Belgian Ale) named Sweaty Heifer
HISTORY: The Pepper Extravaganza was a homebrew competition that was connected to the annual Pepper Fest
in Largo, Florida. It was held each year, along with many display booths of pepper plants, pepper food preparations,
and other pepper-related stuff. The Pepper Extravaganza homebrew competition was created by Dave Morgan
(from the Dunedin Brewers Guild), and was held starting in 2007, with the final competition in 2009 -
the last year of the Florida Pepper Fest. Dave has kindly given his permission for the Pepper Extravaganza to be
continued in Colorado starting in 2015.
- Entries will be accepted in all BJCP 2021 substyle categories (click HERE for the 2021 guidelines)
- EVERY entry MUST use some sort of chili pepper in the brewing process - and at least one pepper variety
(or varieties) must be specified. PLEASE - make sure your entry presents a chili pepper presence - heat, flavor,
- Enter your beer in the BASE beer substyle - don't enter as Spice/Herb/Vegetable unless other SHV is involved.
For example, enter your Habanero Kolsch as a Kolsch, and specify the Pepper Variety as Habanero.
- Entry cost is $10 for each entry.
- There are no substyle limits or competition limits for number of entries, but each one must be different in
either substyle or pepper variety. So, for example, you can enter three Kolsch substyle beers - one for Jalapeño,
one for Serrano, and one for Poblano, but you can not enter two Kolsch substyle beers that are both Serrano. If
you use an unusual or uncommon pepper variety, please provide a very short description of the pepper to help the
judges know what to expect.
- Submit two bottles (12 oz brown, crown-capped, unmarked) for each entry.
- Online entries only -
REGISTER YOUR ENTRIES HERE.
This is also the link for you to sign up to be a Judge.
- Date of competition:
Sunday, October 22, 2023 starting at 9:00am. Location: Virtual and eJudging, Brighton, Colorado, USA.
- Registration window dates: September 1, 2023 through October 7, 2023.
- Deliver your entries to:
or Ship entries to:
- Quirky Homebrew Supply, 303-457-3555, 425 W. 115th Ave. #6, Northglenn, CO 80234
- The Brew Hut, 303-680-8898, 15120 E. Hampden Ave., Aurora, CO 80014
- ReggieBeer.com c/o Nelson Crowle, 727-534-6944, 16021 Verbena St., Brighton, CO 80602
- Awards will be given in the following categories (these categories may be rearranged or changed depending on entries received):
The best of each of these categories will be judged to award the Best Of Show.
- Light/Amber Beer, Light-to-moderate pepper heat (Scoville<=5000 - no more than a Jalepeño)
- Dark Beer, Light-to-moderate pepper heat
- Mead/Cider, Light-to-moderate pepper heat
- Light/Amber Beer, Moderate-and-higher pepper heat (Scoville>5000 - hotter than a Jalepeño)
- Dark Beer, Moderate-and-higher pepper heat
- Mead/Cider, Moderate-and-higher pepper heat
We look forward to judging some of your excellent Pepper Beers (and Meads/Ciders)! If you have any questions,
please EMAIL Nelson, the Competition Organizer. Thanks for